The royalty of the North American Junior Red Angus Event shall consist of a Queen and a Princess. The Royalty’s responsibility is to assist the NAJRAE Junior Board with planning the NAJRAE and the activities throughout the event during the summer. Royalty will also represent the NAJRAE at other Red Angus state, regional, and national events as well as other industry groups and businesses.
To be eligible for election the following criteria must be met:
General requirements for all candidates
- All candidates must have attended and/or exhibited at the NAJRAE for at least one year prior to the year of candidacy.
- All candidates must participate in at least two satellite events including the Herdsman Quiz and the Showmanship show held during the NAJRAE.
- Candidates must be single never married and must not become married or pregnant during their one-year reign.
- Candidates may not serve consecutive terms in each classification. For example, a candidate may not serve back-to-back terms as princess or queen.
- Candidates must be willing to participate in conference calls, respond to emails/voicemails, and be active participants with the NAJRAE social media platforms and website updates. Candidates will be advised, as a representative of NAJRAE to be careful of what is put on personal social media accounts. Candidates will be a mentor to many young juniors who may want to be friends on social media.
- Candidates will be asked to advocate on behalf of the beef industry and agriculture on a local, state, regional, and national level. Work can consist of working at shows, state fairs, local cattlemen's, and industry meetings. Types of work can include parades, visiting at schools, 4-H meetings, and FFA events.
- The candidates must assume appropriate conduct at all times.
- Candidates are to provide two (2) letters of recommendation to be submitted with the application. One letter is to be from a fellow breeder. One letter is to be from an advisor, 4-H Leader, FFA Advisor, or any other adult in such a position.
- Candidates are to provide a 5x7 photo to be submitted with the application.
- Candidates are to work with the current NAJRAE Junior and Senior boards throughout the week, helping wherever and whenever necessary.
- Candidates are to participate in a meet and greet with other candidates and past royalty.
- Candidates will attend the Friday night banquet.
General Requirements for Queen Only
- Candidates may not serve consecutive terms as queen.
- Candidates may not serve as Queen and a NAJRAE Board member at the same time.
- Queen candidates must be at least sixteen (16) by show date and must not have reached their twenty-second (22) birthday before January 1 of their election year.
- The NAJRAE Queen is required to attend the two (2) official NAJRAE board meetings: (1) a regularly scheduled fall meeting; (2) and all meetings held in conjunction with the NAJRAE Show week. If a NAJRAE Queen is unable to attend a meeting, a written explanation to the advisors must be received sixty (60) days prior to the scheduled meeting. The absence must be approved by the NAJRAE Junior Advisors.
- Candidates are to write a 750-1,000 word essay within the application on why the candidate would like to be royalty and how the candidate would promote the Red Angus Breed.
- Candidates are to provide a 20-32 page 8 ½ ” x 11” hard back digital photo book to be turned in at Check In. See the Guide for a Queen Candidate for more specific guidelines to aide each candidate.
See the Guide for a Queen Candidate for more information to aide each candidate.
Guide for a Queen Candidate
General Requirements for Princess Only
- Candidates may not serve consecutive terms as princess.
- Princess candidates must be at least thirteen (13) by show date and must not have reached their sixteenth (16) birthday before January 1 of their election year.
- Candidates are to write a 500-750 word essay within the application on why the candidate would like to be princess and how the candidate would promote the Red Angus Breed.
- Candidates are to provide a 20-24 page 8” x 8” hard back digital photo book to be turned in at Check In. See the Guide for a Princess Candidate for more specific guidelines to aide each candidate.
See the Guide for a Princess Candidate for more information to aide each candidate.
Guide for a Princess Candidate
Selection Process for Candidates
Candidates will be judged and scored by multiple judges on each of the following areas: Application & Essay, Photo Book, Interview, Herdsman Quiz, and Poise & Personality.
The points are broke out as follows:
Application/Essay 15 Points
Interview 40 Points
Photo Book 10 Points
Herdsman Quiz 10 Points
Poise/Personality 25 Points
Total Points 100 Points
Dress Code for Candidates
- For the Meet and Greet, the candidate is to wear proper western attire or business casual in which a candidate would be wearing to pass out ribbons at a show or speak in a casual setting.
- For the interview, the candidate may wear their barn attire.
- For the banquet, the candidate is to wear a nice dress that fits the dress code guidelines.
- All other times during the NAJRAE, the candidate is to wear what is required by the NAJRAE.
- Outside the NAJRAE week, candidates are to wear proper western attire or business casual when representing the NAJRAE such as passing out ribbons, parades, talks at local Ag gatherings, etc. ALWAYS dress nicely as the candidate is representing not only the NAJRAE but the Red Angus breed and the candidate’s family.
Dress Code Guidelines:
- Shirts or dresses should pass the palm pilot test. With the candidates thumb hooked on the collar bone, the shirt or dress should not be lower than the palm of the hand.
- Dresses are not to be shorter than the fingertips when the candidate’s arms are hanging at the side.
- Shirts should be able to pass the stretch test. If the candidate stretches the arms above the head, the shirt should not expose any skin at the waste.
- Nice shirt such as a button down and nice pants, jeans, or skirts.
- No holes, no stains, and no t-shirts.
- Nice shirt such as a button down, nice blue jeans, a belt, and boots
- No holes, no stains, and no t-shirts.
Deadline: May 15, 2021
For more information or questions contact:
Kris Nagel, 618-301-6917